I fresh off the heals of sending two weeks in Ghana and I was a very happy vegan. Happy Cow allowed me to find some amazing spots and I was able to have a ton of traditional recipes that were veganized or were already vegan. When I travel I always love to learn how to make dishes indigineous country I am in. I learned how to make Atadwe milk aka tiger nut pudding while In Ghana. It’s made by extracting Milk from tiger nut and blending it with rice. Tiger nuts are actually tubers, like sweet potato, though much smaller in size. They get their name from the stripes on their exterior.
Atadwe milk (Tiger Nut Pudding)
This recipe is delicious. It can be served for breakfast or as a dessert.
2 cups tiger nut
1 cup rice
1 teaspoon salt
Sweetener to taste
6 cups water or as needed
- Soak tiger nut and rice overnight. Strain the soak water
- Add to soaked tigernut and rice to blender. Add water until the tigernut and rice is covered. Blend until smooth.
- Strain using a sieve. For additional straining then strain through cheesecloth
- Add liquid to pot with a cinnamon stick. Place on stove at medium high. Constantly stirring in the same direction to prevent lumps.
- As the mixture thickens add additional water so it is not to thick. Add salt and sweeten to taste.
- Cook until it’s smooth and creamy. Serve on its on. Traditionally condensed milk will be added. I love natures charm vegan condensed milk as a substitute