Today I decided to upgraded my butternut squash soup. I usually have it as appetizer to wet my palette before my main dish. Today I decided I want to adventure and make it a heartier dish to satiate my hunger. I wanted to add different elements that would compliment the sweetness of the soup.
I decided to add mushrooms, kale, and Ramen noodles. Wait before you give a side eye about the Ramen Noodles they are healthy. Lotus Foods has created a line of Ramen Noodles for us health conscious folks. The one I love is made with black rice. Have I mentioned how much I love black rice. I will share a few of my favorite black rice recipes in a few weeks.
In the meantime, try this out and tell me what you think
Roasted Squash Soup
1 small butternut squash
1 garnet yam
1 medium red onion
1 celery stalk
2 tbl garlic minced
4 1/2 filtered water or vegetable stock
2 1⁄2 c coconut milk
2 tbl maple syrup
3 tbl nama shoyu
1⁄2 tsp red curry paste
1 jalapeno minced and deseeded
1 small cinnamon stick
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Rinse the butternut squash, slice lengthwise and remove the seeds. Place face down on the lightly oiled baking sheet and bake until a knife can pass through it easily. Approximately 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Scoop the inside of the squash into a blender.
2. While squash is cooking place the yams, onions, celery, garlic, coconut milk, filtered water and cinnamon stick in a 3 qt pot cook on medium high heat until yams are thoroughly cooked, approximated 30 minutes, stirring occasionally . Remove from heat and allow to cool 10 -15 minutes.
3. Remove cinnamon stick, add nama shoyu, jalepeno, and maple syrup, place in blender with squash and blend. Blend in batches, being careful to fill blender only half full. Start
with low speed initially, slowly increase speed until desired consistency is reach. Add
salt and pepper to taste, and mix well.
2 cups of Kale, roughly chopped
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1 tbl fresh ginger, grated
1 tbl coconut oil
2-3 tbls coconut amino acids
1. In a medium skillet add coconut oil on medium heat. Once oil is warmed up add onion & saute for 3 minutes. Add ginger, stir constantly for additional minute. Add kale to skillet add 3 tablespoons of distilled water, stir. Lower heat & cover for 2-3 minutes. Uncover add coconut amino acids to taste.
Sauteed Portobello onions
1 cup Portobello mushrooms, sliced
1/8 cup red onions, sliced
1 tbl olive oil
1. In medium skillet add olive oil on medium heat. Once warm add onions saute for 3-5 minutes until it starts to become translucent. Add Portobello mushrooms saute for 7 minutes.
2. Pour in a bowl and splash with ume vinegar to taste.
Cook Lotus Foods Forbidden Rice Ramen according to package.
Pour soup in a bowl add everything else. Garnish. Enjoy!