Vegan grilled cheese recipe may sound boring to you but this is anything but boring. I loved grilled cheese sandwiches as a child. When I transitioned into a plant based lifestyle in 2001 I was not to happy with the cheese options that was available to me. Either the cheese didn't melt in the way I wanted or the taste was off. I gave up on recreating some dishes and chose to make my own cheese for certain dishes. Fast forward, it is now 2019 and it is a completely different world. The options are bountiful and THEY TASTE GOOD. Let's not forget this important fact the cheese melts. If I am honest I still prefer to make my own cheese mainly because I am high-raw and try to avoid processed foods as much as possible.
My top 3 vegan cheese companies are:
For the past few weeks I have been making a loaded grill cheese sandwich instead the 3 basic components bread, cheese, and butter I added a few extras. It has been heavenly and quite addictive. I had my friend try it out and she became a believer so much so that she was remaking it home. Try it out, post it, and don't forget to tag me.
Loaded Vegan Grill Cheese Sandwich
2 slices Gluten-Free Bread
2 slices Violife Cheese
2 marinated artichoke hearts halves, chopped
1 tablespoon of Basil Pesto ( I used Seggiano Basil Pesto)
1 Tomato, sliced
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 cups Spinach
1/2 cup portobello mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup red onions, chopped
Ume Plum vinegar
1 Avocado, sliced
- In medium skillet add olive oil on medium heat. Once warm add onions saute for 3-5 minutes until it starts to become translucent. Add Portabello mushrooms an saute for 3-4 minutes. Add spinach saute for additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from hear pour in a bowl and splash with ume vinegar to taste.
- Heat grill or pan that will be used.
- Take two slices of bread on side spread butter on the other side spread pesto.
- On one slice pesto side facing up layer the following ingredients: 1 cheese slice, sauteed spinach, avocado, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, 1 cheese slice, then second slice of bread.
- Place your sandwich in a preheated pan or griddle on medium heat. Usually, my sandwiches only need about 1 to 3 minutes on each side to be nice and crispy. Check your first sandwiches frequently, as they can burn quickly without warning.
Note: You can substitute butter with coconut oil. Play around with recipe and switch things out