I love blueberry muffins. Just the thought of it creates beautiful memories. Since upgrading my diet from vegan to high raw I haven't had much bread, flour, or let's just say gluten. I am don't want to claim being gluten intolerant but I do know when I have it I don't always feel well. So the other day I was craving a blueberry muffin. Did not have the time to make any but I wanted to satiate the desire for the muffins. So I decided to experiment with oatmeal. This hit the spot when it came to the craving and left me with a big smile on my face. It serves one if you are greedy like me or can possibly serve two.
- 2/3 cup certified gluten-free old fashioned oats
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 small banana
- 2 teaspoons agave (liquid sweetener)
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt (optional)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 Tablespoon gluten-free chopped walnuts
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax seeds
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium-size saucepan. Add the salt, cinnamon, agave, flax, and oatmeal. Reduce the heat, and simmer uncovered for five minutes or until most of the water has been absorbed. Add the blueberries, banana, vanilla, and milk (or alternate beverage). Bring to a simmer, and simmer five more minutes or until the oatmeal is thick and creamy and the blueberries have begun to pop. Cover and let stand for five minutes. Pour into a bowl then top with remaining ½ sliced banana, blueberries, and walnuts.